maths study via The Open University

M343 exam

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

That was difficult.

Looked nothing like the specimen paper and the questions seemed blooming hard in part two – the longer questions with more marks.

Quite a few people agreeing with me and some that were initially hoping for a pass one or pass two are now hoping they’ve scraped 40% and a pass four instead.

Some shocked faces in the exam hall.

I think this paper was significantly more difficult than the past papers I looked at.

Still, I was prepared for it to go badly, so don’t feel too down about it.

Not allowed to discuss the questions until the paper has been released, apparently – not even give a hint of the topics.

Advertisements

9 responses

  1. Chris Finlay

    Joint comiserations mate sounds like your M343 experience was similar to my M338 experience. Thanks for the comments on my blog I’ll have a large drink for you as well. Hope the interest in quantum mechanics compensates

    Cheers Chris

    October 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

    • Was it really so hard? Hope not, because I’ve found the past exam papers for M343 pretty straightforward. Look up the formula, plug in the numbers, write the result.

      I hope next years exam is easy!

      October 11, 2012 at 6:36 AM

      • Yes, it was. Nothing like the previous exams – looking up formulae seemed to account for about 10% of the paper. The other 90% was dealing with much trickier scenarios than in the past. Can’t say anything specific about the questions yet as the exam paper has not been officially released and discussion is not allowed. In some cases, what used to be a 20 mark part two question has been demoted to 12 marks, with another 8 marks of other stuff to do as well. Needed to be a 4 hour paper really.

        October 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

  2. I should also mention that the old “choose 3 from 6” for the part two questions became “choose 3 from 5” for part two from this year.
    That in itself should have been sufficient to curb the number of high grades.

    October 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

  3. Hi oumaths,
    Like Chris, I was pummelled by the M338 exam, and reading the above, it sounds like you guys had it no easier. Ho hum.
    At least if everyone found your exam so hard, like the “shocked faces” would suggest, they’ll probably lower the grade boundaries; they can’t have everyone Grade 4 or fail after all. So you might still end up doing quite well. In my case, they’d have to move them a long bloody way to redeem my score, but maybe you’ll get a break.
    All the best,
    Neil H

    October 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM

  4. Daniel Koschalka

    After getting my MT365 result on Tuesday, I think I have checked to see if my M343 result is ready about 1000 times in the last four days. Possibly no exaggeration. I too found it hard, but I am given some confidence by the fact that everyone else, your good self included, seems to have found it hard as well. The last time I saw that reaction (on MST209) they shifted the grade boundaries.

    December 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

    • Daniel Koschalka

      I am also just beginning actuarial exams. I work in Pricing for a big insurer so hopefully they’ll pay for the costs and give me study time as the work is relevant to my job.

      Planning to do CT1 in April as a light start, then 2 or 3 a session until the CTs are done. Hopefully one of my OU modules will give me an exemption at some point.

      December 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM

      • Hi Daniel,
        Your present job sounds like the one I’d like to have right now.
        I think most of the big insurers (we have a couple headquartered in my city) would give you a study package if it means you can benefit their business.
        CT1 does look light. CT3 doesn’t look much heavier – relative to OU stats courses anyway.
        Good luck with them, as well – might see your name on the official pass list at the next sitting. 🙂

        December 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

    • Hi Daniel,
      I’m resisting the temptation to check if M343 results are in – it won’t be a result I’m wanting, that’s for sure. 🙂
      Hope you got what you needed from the MT365 result.
      I’m planning to take MT365 as my last course.
      Good luck with the M343 result.

      December 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s